Hiring an Affordable Silver City NM Handyman
Hiring a handyman in Silver City NM can be an affordable alternative to doing various home repair or improvement projects yourself that you have been avoiding. With multiple family and work responsibilities, it can often be difficult to work on your list of home repairs, which can have a negative impact on home maintenance. A handyman is usually less expensive than licensed contractors who specialize in one area exclusively, such as plumbers or electricians. And with their extensive and broad experience, they can help you avoid making mistakes when installing a washing machine, replacing a garbage disposal, or putting in a new tile floor yourself. There is nothing more frustrating than having to hire someone to re-do the job after you have done it very badly. Also, it can end up being more expensive than if you had hired a professional to begin with. So, if you are considering doing some home renovations or fixing something in the house that needs repair, consider the benefits of hiring a professional handyman instead.
Why Hire a Handyman Instead
Sometimes it is best to leave it to the experts when considering home maintenance or repair. A qualified and experienced Silver City NM handyman can not only get the job done fast but do it right the first time, saving you frustration and time for other obligations. But what are the benefits of hiring a handyman compared to other options. Let’s take a look at some of the main reasons that it makes sense to utilize handyman services for your next home project.
- Charge by the hour. Most handymen in Silver City NM charge by the hour and not by the job. This means that you only pay for the time spent doing actual work and not pre-set service charges plus additional costs that could far exceed what a handyman charges. They also tend to have lower overhead and no employees, so they can charge less than a typical plumber or electrician.
- Can handle several projects. Perhaps you have a faucet that needs replacing, an outlet that needs to be changed out, and a bedroom that needs to be painted. Instead of trying to find and coordinate with a reliable Silver City NM plumber, electrician and painter, an experienced handyman can handle all of those projects.
- Save money on materials. When you hire a contractor, generally they supply the materials at a mark-up. When working with a handyman, you supply the materials, saving you money. And often an experienced handyman has connections that they have established with Silver City NM vendors offering them discounts that they can pass on to their customers.
- The Go-To person for all home repair projects. The great thing about having the phone number for an experienced Silver City NM professional handyman is that you don’t have to think about who to call when the toilet leaks or the ceiling fan stops working. You just call your guy (or gal) and they come over and take care of the problem. And if the job is a little more involved than they can handle, they can usually recommend a “specialist” to take care of your more advanced plumbing, electrical or HVAC needs.
Steps to Hiring a Handyman
Being comfortable with and having confidence in your Silver City NM handyman is extremely important, especially since they are working in your home. The last thing that you want to do is hire someone who does not have the skills required to complete the project or that will charge you more than the agreed upon price. So be sure to do your due diligence and follow these hiring guidelines when selecting and hiring your handyman.
- Interview several prospects. As the song goes, you better shop around. Be sure to speak with 3 or 4 candidates before making a selection. Referral services, such as the one recommended on this website, can do the groundwork for you by providing pre-screened Silver City NM handymen. Be sure to ask about their experience, areas of expertise and rates.
- Clearly define the project. Make sure your prospective handyman understands the scope and all details of the project. It is important to make sure that it is within the range of his or her expertise and experience and not more appropriate for a licensed Silver City NM contractor.
- Ask for references. Get references from recent Silver City NM customers who have used the handyman’s services, for similar projects if available. Ask if they were completely satisfied with the work performed as well as the cost of services. Also ask if they would hire the handyman again for future projects.
- Get Agreement and Guarantee in writing. Make sure the terms are spelled out in writing, to include all fees involved and any guarantees for workmanship. Since you are paying by the hour it is not as critical to get the exact project cost up front, especially for small jobs. But there needs to be a formal understanding regarding hourly rate and if the Silver City NM handyman stands behind his work. And for longer projects, a start and completion date, along with estimated billed hours should be spelled out in writing before work begins.
A Bit About Silver City NM
Silver City, New Mexico
Silver City is a town in Grant County, New Mexico, United States. It is the county seat and the home of Western New Mexico University. As of the 2010 census the population was 10,315. In 2015 the population was estimated to be 10,004.
The valley that is now the site of Silver City once served as an Apache campsite. With the arrival of the Spaniards, the area became known for its copper mining. After the American Civil War, a settlement developed and became known as "La Ciénega de San Vicente" (the Oasis of St. Vincent). With a wave of American prospectors, the pace of change increased, and Silver City was founded in the summer of 1870. The founding of the town occurred shortly after the discovery of silver ore deposits at Chloride Flat, on the hill just west of the farm of Captain John M. Bullard and his brother James. Following the silver strike, Captain Bullard laid out the streets of Silver City, and a bustling tent city quickly sprang to life. Although the trajectory of Silver City's development was to be different from the hundreds of other mining boom towns established during the same period, Captain Bullard himself never lived to see even the beginnings of permanence, as he was killed in a confrontation with Apache raiders less than a year later, on February 23, 1871.
The town's violent crime rate was substantial during the 1870s; Grant County Sheriff Harvey Whitehill was elected in 1874, and gained a sizable reputation for his abilities at controlling trouble. In 1875, Whitehill became the first lawman to arrest Billy the Kid, known at the time as Henry Antrim. Whitehill arrested him twice, both times for theft in Silver City (Sheriff Whitehill testified to the Justice of the Peace that he believed Henry Antrim did NOT do the actual stealing the second time arrested, but assisted in the hiding of the property stolen by Sombrero Jack, and would later claim that Bonney was a likeable kid, whose stealing was a result more of necessity than criminality. His mother is buried in the town cemetery. In 1878, the town hired its first town marshal, "Dangerous Dan" Tucker, who had been working as a deputy for Whitehill since 1875.
Mrs. Lettie B. Morrill, in a talk given to the Daughters of the American Revolution chapter in Silver City on September 19, 1908, stated, "John Bullard was placed in the first grave dug in Silver City, having been killed while punishing the Indians for an attack upon the new town; the brothers were Prospectors about the country for many years. The last one left for the old home about 1885, saying, 'It is only a matter of time until the Indians get me if I stay here.'" Silver City was also the starting point for many expeditions hunting treasures such as the Lost Adams Diggings.
Is Hiring a Silver City NM Handyman Right For You?
We all have home repair or replacement projects that we keep putting off that a qualified Silver City NM handyman could take care of quickly and at a cost that is very reasonable and affordable. After all, isn’t it more cost effective to have the project done once and right the first time? Many handymen are skilled in several areas such as:
- Door repair and installation
- Drywall repair and installation
- Painting and Plastering
- Window repair or replacement
- Minor plumbing or electrical services
- Carpentry or Roof repair
- Flooring installation and repair
- Any general home repair, replacement or improvement
So what are you waiting for? Take care of your “Honey Do” list and request free estimates from some of the top rated handymen in Silver City NM. There is no cost or obligation to be connected with professionals who will compete for your business. So request your free proposals and take care of those home repair projects now!
Check Out These Other Cities in New Mexico
Business Results 1 - 10 of 1
Bing: Silver City NM Handyman Search results
Silver City, NM | Official Website
March 2020 Municipal Election council candidate packages! Want to help make Silver City even better? Consider applying for a vacancy on a town board or commission! Starting or growing a business in Silver City? The Town of Silver City is hiring. Visit Silver City's Public Library! Or just let us know what you think!
Sheffield Construction. Handyman Service - Silver City, NM ...
See past project info for Sheffield Construction including photos, cost and more. Silver City, NM - Handyman Service
Best 6 Handyman Services in Silver City, NM with Reviews ...
Handyman Services in Silver City on YP.com. See reviews, photos, directions, phone numbers and more for the best Handyman Services in Silver City, NM.
Best 11 Handyman in Silver City, NM with Reviews - YP.com
Handyman in Silver City on YP.com. See reviews, photos, directions, phone numbers and more for the best Handyman Services in Silver City, NM.
Handyman near Silver City, NM | Better Business Bureau ...
BBB Directory of Handyman near Silver City, NM. BBB Start with Trust ®. Your guide to trusted BBB Ratings, customer reviews and BBB Accredited businesses.
Top 5 Best Silver City NM Handyman Services | Angie's List
Read real reviews and see ratings for Silver City, NM Handyman Services for free! This list will help you pick the right pro Handyman in Silver City, NM. ... Get matched with top Handyman Services in Silver City There are 5 highly-rated local handyman services. Please enter a valid zip code.
Silver City, NM Handyman Service - 88061 Handyman Service ...
Call us at (877) 959-3534 for handyman service in Silver City, NM! We can help with any job. Whether you need your sink faucet repaired, furniture built, TV hung, or a larger job, we can take care of it all.
Silver City, NM Handyman Contractor Services - 88061 ...
Handyman in Silver City, NM New Mexico 88061. Handyman Services Pros Silver City. Need an expert Handyman Company in Silver City, 88061? Service Pros of Silver City is ready to serve you for all of your Handyman needs. Call today for a free quote. Phone : 888-380-7143. FEATURED.
Handymen in Silver City | Handyman Silver City NM contractors
Garbage Disposal Replacement in Silver City New Mexico would involve mounting hardware, fittings and connectors and can cost inside $222.52 and $240.96.Retail rates for 1 disposals of garbage disposal replacement - around $338.67 and $361.51.Read more about prices to replace garbage disposals in Silver City New Mexico. The Silver City Handyman ...
The 8 Best Handyman Services in Silver City, NM 2020 - Porch
Silver City, New Mexico Handyman Home Repair Services, based in Silver City, is a handyman company that provides exterior painting, circuit breaker repair, and thermostat installation. Contact