Hiring an Affordable Woodland CA Handyman
Hiring a handyman in Woodland CA can be an affordable alternative to doing various home repair or improvement projects yourself that you have been avoiding. With multiple family and work responsibilities, it can often be difficult to work on your list of home repairs, which can have a negative impact on home maintenance. A handyman is usually less expensive than licensed contractors who specialize in one area exclusively, such as plumbers or electricians. And with their extensive and broad experience, they can help you avoid making mistakes when installing a washing machine, replacing a garbage disposal, or putting in a new tile floor yourself. There is nothing more frustrating than having to hire someone to re-do the job after you have done it very badly. Also, it can end up being more expensive than if you had hired a professional to begin with. So, if you are considering doing some home renovations or fixing something in the house that needs repair, consider the benefits of hiring a professional handyman instead.
Why Hire a Handyman Instead
Sometimes it is best to leave it to the experts when considering home maintenance or repair. A qualified and experienced Woodland CA handyman can not only get the job done fast but do it right the first time, saving you frustration and time for other obligations. But what are the benefits of hiring a handyman compared to other options. Let’s take a look at some of the main reasons that it makes sense to utilize handyman services for your next home project.
- Charge by the hour. Most handymen in Woodland CA charge by the hour and not by the job. This means that you only pay for the time spent doing actual work and not pre-set service charges plus additional costs that could far exceed what a handyman charges. They also tend to have lower overhead and no employees, so they can charge less than a typical plumber or electrician.
- Can handle several projects. Perhaps you have a faucet that needs replacing, an outlet that needs to be changed out, and a bedroom that needs to be painted. Instead of trying to find and coordinate with a reliable Woodland CA plumber, electrician and painter, an experienced handyman can handle all of those projects.
- Save money on materials. When you hire a contractor, generally they supply the materials at a mark-up. When working with a handyman, you supply the materials, saving you money. And often an experienced handyman has connections that they have established with Woodland CA vendors offering them discounts that they can pass on to their customers.
- The Go-To person for all home repair projects. The great thing about having the phone number for an experienced Woodland CA professional handyman is that you don’t have to think about who to call when the toilet leaks or the ceiling fan stops working. You just call your guy (or gal) and they come over and take care of the problem. And if the job is a little more involved than they can handle, they can usually recommend a “specialist” to take care of your more advanced plumbing, electrical or HVAC needs.
Steps to Hiring a Handyman
Being comfortable with and having confidence in your Woodland CA handyman is extremely important, especially since they are working in your home. The last thing that you want to do is hire someone who does not have the skills required to complete the project or that will charge you more than the agreed upon price. So be sure to do your due diligence and follow these hiring guidelines when selecting and hiring your handyman.
- Interview several prospects. As the song goes, you better shop around. Be sure to speak with 3 or 4 candidates before making a selection. Referral services, such as the one recommended on this website, can do the groundwork for you by providing pre-screened Woodland CA handymen. Be sure to ask about their experience, areas of expertise and rates.
- Clearly define the project. Make sure your prospective handyman understands the scope and all details of the project. It is important to make sure that it is within the range of his or her expertise and experience and not more appropriate for a licensed Woodland CA contractor.
- Ask for references. Get references from recent Woodland CA customers who have used the handyman’s services, for similar projects if available. Ask if they were completely satisfied with the work performed as well as the cost of services. Also ask if they would hire the handyman again for future projects.
- Get Agreement and Guarantee in writing. Make sure the terms are spelled out in writing, to include all fees involved and any guarantees for workmanship. Since you are paying by the hour it is not as critical to get the exact project cost up front, especially for small jobs. But there needs to be a formal understanding regarding hourly rate and if the Woodland CA handyman stands behind his work. And for longer projects, a start and completion date, along with estimated billed hours should be spelled out in writing before work begins.
A Bit About Woodland CA
Woodland is the county seat of Yolo County, California, located approximately 15 miles (24 km) northwest of Sacramento, and is a part of the Sacramento - Arden-Arcade - Roseville Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 55,468 at the 2010 census.
Woodland's origins trace back to 1850 when California gained its statehood and Yolo County was established. Since the town started growing in population and resources, it has not stopped. The area was well irrigated due to the efforts of James Moore, and this drew people out to try their hand at farming. The endeavor was successful as people found the soil in the area very fertile. The city gained a federal post office and the next year the county seat was moved from Washington (present day West Sacramento, California) to Woodland after Washington was flooded. The addition of a railroad line, the close proximity to Sacramento, and the more recent addition of Interstate 5, helped create a thriving city.
Before the settlement of the area by people of European descent, the Woodland area was inhabited by the Patwin, a subgroup of the Wintun Native Americans. There are two main groups of Patwin: River and Coastal Patwin. Woodland's indigenous roots stem from the River Patwin, who tended to stay closer to the Sacramento River, as opposed to the Coastal Patwin who lived in small valleys in hills and ranges. The Yolotoi, a tribelet of the Patwin, occupied area near Woodland, and settled a village northwest of Woodland and another close to present day Knights Landing. Although they didn't have a permanent settlement in present-day Woodland, it is believed that the River Patwin occupied the Woodland area in seasonal camps for hunting and seed gathering. The Yolotoi and their neighboring tribelets had a main trading trail which followed Cache Creek. The exchange of goods between the neighboring tribes of the Nomlaki to the north, the Nisenan to the east, and the Pomo to the west also served as a way of cultural and social interchange between all the tribes. The simultaneous enslavement and spread of disease through the Patwin by the Spanish missionaries had quickly taken dramatic effects; a malarial epidemic in 1830–33 and a smallpox epidemic in 1837 killed much of the surviving natives. However, it has been found that some of the first farm hands in the earliest farms in Woodland were the Patwin people.
In 1851, the year after California became a state and Yolo County was formed, "Uncle Johnny" Morris settled in what is now the corner of First and Clover Streets in Woodland. Two years later Henry Wyckoff arrived and built a store he named "Yolo City". This new Yolo City might have stayed a singular store if Frank S. Freeman had not bought it and acquired 160 acres (0.65 km2) of land in 1857. Freeman began to develop a town that he hoped would be a trading center for one of the richest crop-growing areas in America. He was giving land to anyone who would clear it and build their home on it. In 1859, Freeman suggested to the post office that the town be called Woodland and the post office accepted. Later, on July 5, 1861, the Woodland Post Office was established and Freeman was made the Postmaster. He lost no time in further developing the town by leasing or selling buildings for businesses to use.
Is Hiring a Woodland CA Handyman Right For You?
We all have home repair or replacement projects that we keep putting off that a qualified Woodland CA handyman could take care of quickly and at a cost that is very reasonable and affordable. After all, isn’t it more cost effective to have the project done once and right the first time? Many handymen are skilled in several areas such as:
- Door repair and installation
- Drywall repair and installation
- Painting and Plastering
- Window repair or replacement
- Minor plumbing or electrical services
- Carpentry or Roof repair
- Flooring installation and repair
- Any general home repair, replacement or improvement
So what are you waiting for? Take care of your “Honey Do” list and request free estimates from some of the top rated handymen in Woodland CA. There is no cost or obligation to be connected with professionals who will compete for your business. So request your free proposals and take care of those home repair projects now!
Check Out These Other Cities in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 864