Hiring an Affordable Alton NH Handyman
Hiring a handyman in Alton NH can be an affordable alternative to doing various home repair or improvement projects yourself that you have been avoiding. With multiple family and work responsibilities, it can often be difficult to work on your list of home repairs, which can have a negative impact on home maintenance. A handyman is usually less expensive than licensed contractors who specialize in one area exclusively, such as plumbers or electricians. And with their extensive and broad experience, they can help you avoid making mistakes when installing a washing machine, replacing a garbage disposal, or putting in a new tile floor yourself. There is nothing more frustrating than having to hire someone to re-do the job after you have done it very badly. Also, it can end up being more expensive than if you had hired a professional to begin with. So, if you are considering doing some home renovations or fixing something in the house that needs repair, consider the benefits of hiring a professional handyman instead.
Why Hire a Handyman Instead
Sometimes it is best to leave it to the experts when considering home maintenance or repair. A qualified and experienced Alton NH handyman can not only get the job done fast but do it right the first time, saving you frustration and time for other obligations. But what are the benefits of hiring a handyman compared to other options. Let’s take a look at some of the main reasons that it makes sense to utilize handyman services for your next home project.
- Charge by the hour. Most handymen in Alton NH charge by the hour and not by the job. This means that you only pay for the time spent doing actual work and not pre-set service charges plus additional costs that could far exceed what a handyman charges. They also tend to have lower overhead and no employees, so they can charge less than a typical plumber or electrician.
- Can handle several projects. Perhaps you have a faucet that needs replacing, an outlet that needs to be changed out, and a bedroom that needs to be painted. Instead of trying to find and coordinate with a reliable Alton NH plumber, electrician and painter, an experienced handyman can handle all of those projects.
- Save money on materials. When you hire a contractor, generally they supply the materials at a mark-up. When working with a handyman, you supply the materials, saving you money. And often an experienced handyman has connections that they have established with Alton NH vendors offering them discounts that they can pass on to their customers.
- The Go-To person for all home repair projects. The great thing about having the phone number for an experienced Alton NH professional handyman is that you don’t have to think about who to call when the toilet leaks or the ceiling fan stops working. You just call your guy (or gal) and they come over and take care of the problem. And if the job is a little more involved than they can handle, they can usually recommend a “specialist” to take care of your more advanced plumbing, electrical or HVAC needs.
Steps to Hiring a Handyman
Being comfortable with and having confidence in your Alton NH handyman is extremely important, especially since they are working in your home. The last thing that you want to do is hire someone who does not have the skills required to complete the project or that will charge you more than the agreed upon price. So be sure to do your due diligence and follow these hiring guidelines when selecting and hiring your handyman.
- Interview several prospects. As the song goes, you better shop around. Be sure to speak with 3 or 4 candidates before making a selection. Referral services, such as the one recommended on this website, can do the groundwork for you by providing pre-screened Alton NH handymen. Be sure to ask about their experience, areas of expertise and rates.
- Clearly define the project. Make sure your prospective handyman understands the scope and all details of the project. It is important to make sure that it is within the range of his or her expertise and experience and not more appropriate for a licensed Alton NH contractor.
- Ask for references. Get references from recent Alton NH customers who have used the handyman’s services, for similar projects if available. Ask if they were completely satisfied with the work performed as well as the cost of services. Also ask if they would hire the handyman again for future projects.
- Get Agreement and Guarantee in writing. Make sure the terms are spelled out in writing, to include all fees involved and any guarantees for workmanship. Since you are paying by the hour it is not as critical to get the exact project cost up front, especially for small jobs. But there needs to be a formal understanding regarding hourly rate and if the Alton NH handyman stands behind his work. And for longer projects, a start and completion date, along with estimated billed hours should be spelled out in writing before work begins.
A Bit About Alton NH
Alton, New Hampshire
The primary settlement in town, where 501 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as the Alton census-designated place (CDP) and is centered on the intersection of New Hampshire Route 11 and New Hampshire Route 140. The town also includes the village of Alton Bay, a long-time resort located beside Lake Winnipesaukee.
Originally called "New Durham Gore" because of rocky upland areas, or "gores", the town was settled in 1770, mainly by farmers because the highland areas provided less frost. Merchants then filled the lowlands. Early Alton history recounts stories of the merchants trying to convince the farmers to incorporate. They would succeed on 15 January 1796, when the community was named after Alton, a small market town in Hampshire, England.
Alton was part of Strafford County until Belknap County was erected on 22 December 1840. By 1840, the village of Alton existed at the town's center. In 1847, the Cochecho Railroad began bringing passengers and freight to Alton Village and Alton Bay. By 1859, the town had two gristmills, seven sawmills, and five shoe factories. But the most famous business was the Rockwell Clough Company, established by William Rockwell Clough, inventor of the corkscrew. By 1903, his company was producing 30 million corkscrews worldwide.
Since the mid-19th century, however, tourism has been the principal business. In 1863, an Adventist group held a camp meeting at Alton Bay, which was the terminus of the Dover and Winnipiseogee Railroad. That was incorporated as the Alton Bay Camp Meeting Association (now known as Alton Bay Christian Conference Center) in 1876. In 1872, the Boston & Maine Railroad launched at Alton Bay the steamer Mount Washington, the first side-wheeler and largest vessel on Lake Winnipesaukee. When destroyed by fire in 1939, a replacement ship was found, also christened Mount Washington. Today, it continues to carry summer tourists between stops on the lake. The railway survived until 1935, and the old station at Alton Bay is now a community center.
Is Hiring a Alton NH Handyman Right For You?
We all have home repair or replacement projects that we keep putting off that a qualified Alton NH handyman could take care of quickly and at a cost that is very reasonable and affordable. After all, isn’t it more cost effective to have the project done once and right the first time? Many handymen are skilled in several areas such as:
- Door repair and installation
- Drywall repair and installation
- Painting and Plastering
- Window repair or replacement
- Minor plumbing or electrical services
- Carpentry or Roof repair
- Flooring installation and repair
- Any general home repair, replacement or improvement
So what are you waiting for? Take care of your “Honey Do” list and request free estimates from some of the top rated handymen in Alton NH. There is no cost or obligation to be connected with professionals who will compete for your business. So request your free proposals and take care of those home repair projects now!
Check Out These Other Cities in New Hampshire
Business Results 1 - 10 of 116
Bing: Alton NH Handyman Search results
Best 30 Handyman in Alton, NH with Reviews - YP.com
Handyman in Alton on YP.com. See reviews, photos, directions, phone numbers and more for the best Handyman Services in Alton, NH.
Best 15 Handyman Services in Alton Bay, NH with Reviews ...
Handyman Services in Alton Bay on YP.com. See reviews, photos, directions, phone numbers and more for the best Handyman Services in Alton Bay, NH.
9 Best Handyman Services - Alton Bay NH | HomeAdvisor
Alton Bay Handyman Services are rated 4.48 out of 5 based on 427 reviews of 9 pros. The HomeAdvisor Community Rating is an overall rating based on verified reviews and feedback from our community of homeowners that have been connected with service professionals. See individual business pages for full, detailed reviews.
Top 10 Best Alton NH Handyman Services | Angie's List
Read real reviews and see ratings for Alton, NH Handyman Services for free! This list will help you pick the right pro Handyman in Alton, NH. Top 10 Best Alton NH Handyman Services | Angie's List
Honeydo Handyman Alton Bay 03810 New-Hampshire Handyman ...
May 09, 2020 Everything good and bad you need to know about Honeydo Handyman Alton Bay because we are located at the address 299 Alton Mountain Rd New-Hampshire 03810 in Belknap county and we are listed in the category Handyman Services and you can contact us via email or phone at (603)875-4734, click here to learn more and get hours, ratings and free expert estimates from Honeydo Handyman and licensed pros in Alton Bay and nearby.
HONEYDO HANDYMAN. Handyman Service - Alton Bay, NH ...
Honeydo Handyman is a handyman company based out of Alton Bay. They provide driveway gate installation, door installation, weather stripping and more.
7 Best Local Handyman Contractors for Hire - Alton Bay NH ...
Hire the Best Handyman Contractors in Alton Bay, NH on HomeAdvisor. Compare Homeowner Reviews from 7 Top Alton Bay Handyman for Multiple Small Projects services. Get Quotes & Book Instantly.
The 10 Best Handyman Services in Alton, NH 2020 - Porch
Serving Alton, New Hampshire Zacks Carpentry is owned and operated by Zack Fisher, a third generation carpenter with over 15 years experience. With a focus on finish carpentry, we can also cater to almost any carpentry / handyman projects you might have.
George Murphy. Handyman Service - Alton, NH. Projects ...
See past project info for George Murphy including photos, cost and more. Alton, NH - Handyman Service. Professionals. Cabinet Makers Carpenters Deck Builders Drywall Contractors Electricians Fencing Companies. Garage Door Companies General Contractors Gutter Companies Handyman Services Home Inspectors Home Security Companies.
Low Cost Handyman in Alton, NH | ShoutWire
When you hire a handyman in Alton from ShoutWire you know that your project will be completed on time and without any additional fees. Popular Projects for Alton Handyman From small home repairs to large home improvement projects in Alton, a handyman can perform a ton of different jobs around your home.