Hiring an Affordable Palmer AK Handyman
Hiring a handyman in Palmer AK can be an affordable alternative to doing various home repair or improvement projects yourself that you have been avoiding. With multiple family and work responsibilities, it can often be difficult to work on your list of home repairs, which can have a negative impact on home maintenance. A handyman is usually less expensive than licensed contractors who specialize in one area exclusively, such as plumbers or electricians. And with their extensive and broad experience, they can help you avoid making mistakes when installing a washing machine, replacing a garbage disposal, or putting in a new tile floor yourself. There is nothing more frustrating than having to hire someone to re-do the job after you have done it very badly. Also, it can end up being more expensive than if you had hired a professional to begin with. So, if you are considering doing some home renovations or fixing something in the house that needs repair, consider the benefits of hiring a professional handyman instead.
Why Hire a Handyman Instead
Sometimes it is best to leave it to the experts when considering home maintenance or repair. A qualified and experienced Palmer AK handyman can not only get the job done fast but do it right the first time, saving you frustration and time for other obligations. But what are the benefits of hiring a handyman compared to other options. Let’s take a look at some of the main reasons that it makes sense to utilize handyman services for your next home project.
- Charge by the hour. Most handymen in Palmer AK charge by the hour and not by the job. This means that you only pay for the time spent doing actual work and not pre-set service charges plus additional costs that could far exceed what a handyman charges. They also tend to have lower overhead and no employees, so they can charge less than a typical plumber or electrician.
- Can handle several projects. Perhaps you have a faucet that needs replacing, an outlet that needs to be changed out, and a bedroom that needs to be painted. Instead of trying to find and coordinate with a reliable Palmer AK plumber, electrician and painter, an experienced handyman can handle all of those projects.
- Save money on materials. When you hire a contractor, generally they supply the materials at a mark-up. When working with a handyman, you supply the materials, saving you money. And often an experienced handyman has connections that they have established with Palmer AK vendors offering them discounts that they can pass on to their customers.
- The Go-To person for all home repair projects. The great thing about having the phone number for an experienced Palmer AK professional handyman is that you don’t have to think about who to call when the toilet leaks or the ceiling fan stops working. You just call your guy (or gal) and they come over and take care of the problem. And if the job is a little more involved than they can handle, they can usually recommend a “specialist” to take care of your more advanced plumbing, electrical or HVAC needs.
Steps to Hiring a Handyman
Being comfortable with and having confidence in your Palmer AK handyman is extremely important, especially since they are working in your home. The last thing that you want to do is hire someone who does not have the skills required to complete the project or that will charge you more than the agreed upon price. So be sure to do your due diligence and follow these hiring guidelines when selecting and hiring your handyman.
- Interview several prospects. As the song goes, you better shop around. Be sure to speak with 3 or 4 candidates before making a selection. Referral services, such as the one recommended on this website, can do the groundwork for you by providing pre-screened Palmer AK handymen. Be sure to ask about their experience, areas of expertise and rates.
- Clearly define the project. Make sure your prospective handyman understands the scope and all details of the project. It is important to make sure that it is within the range of his or her expertise and experience and not more appropriate for a licensed Palmer AK contractor.
- Ask for references. Get references from recent Palmer AK customers who have used the handyman’s services, for similar projects if available. Ask if they were completely satisfied with the work performed as well as the cost of services. Also ask if they would hire the handyman again for future projects.
- Get Agreement and Guarantee in writing. Make sure the terms are spelled out in writing, to include all fees involved and any guarantees for workmanship. Since you are paying by the hour it is not as critical to get the exact project cost up front, especially for small jobs. But there needs to be a formal understanding regarding hourly rate and if the Palmer AK handyman stands behind his work. And for longer projects, a start and completion date, along with estimated billed hours should be spelled out in writing before work begins.
A Bit About Palmer AK
Palmer is a city in and the borough seat of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough in the U.S. state of Alaska. It is part of the Anchorage Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2010 census, the population of the city is 5,937.
The first people to live in the Matanuska Valley, where Palmer is located, were the Dena'ina and Ahtna Athabaskans. They moved throughout the area, living a subsistence lifestyle and trading with other native groups. Their trade routes were along the Matanuska River. Russians came to Alaska in 1741 and brought the Russian Orthodox religious tradition to the indigenous peoples of the region. In the early 1890s, an entrepreneur named George W. Palmer built a trading post on the Matanuska River, near present-day Palmer. The town was later named after Palmer.
In the late 19th century, the U.S. government began to take interest in the Matanuska coal fields located north of Palmer. This interest sparked financiers to consider constructing the Alaska Central Railroad in 1904. The advent of World War I created a need for high quality coal to fuel U.S. battleships, and by 1917 the US Navy had constructed rail from the port of Seward to the Chickaloon coal deposits. At the end of World War I, the U.S. Navy distributed land in the coal fields to war veterans and additional land was opened to homesteading. Farmers, miners and homesteaders began to populate the area. The Palmer Post Office was opened July 6, 1917 under the name of Warton. With railroad accessibility, new markets for agriculture began to open up for farmers in the Matanuska Valley.
In one year, Palmer transformed from a mere whistle stop rail siding to a planned community with modern utilities and community services. Eleven million dollars from Federal Emergency Relief Administration was spent to create the town of Palmer and relocate 203 families from the hard hit Iron Range region of Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Families traveled by train and ship to Palmer, arriving in May 1935. Upon their arrival they were housed in a tent city during their first Alaskan summer. Each family drew lots for 40-acre (160,000 m2) tracts and their farming adventure began in earnest. The failure rate was high, but many of their descendants still live in the area and there are still many operating farms in the Palmer area, including the Vanderwheele and Wolverine farms. In 1971, the National Outdoor Leadership School started operating wilderness education courses in the nearby Talkeetna and Chugach mountain ranges from a local historic farmhouse, the Berry House, which is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Is Hiring a Palmer AK Handyman Right For You?
We all have home repair or replacement projects that we keep putting off that a qualified Palmer AK handyman could take care of quickly and at a cost that is very reasonable and affordable. After all, isn’t it more cost effective to have the project done once and right the first time? Many handymen are skilled in several areas such as:
- Door repair and installation
- Drywall repair and installation
- Painting and Plastering
- Window repair or replacement
- Minor plumbing or electrical services
- Carpentry or Roof repair
- Flooring installation and repair
- Any general home repair, replacement or improvement
So what are you waiting for? Take care of your “Honey Do” list and request free estimates from some of the top rated handymen in Palmer AK. There is no cost or obligation to be connected with professionals who will compete for your business. So request your free proposals and take care of those home repair projects now!
Check Out These Other Cities in Alaska
Business Results 1 - 10 of 28
Bing: Palmer AK Handyman Search results
The 10 Best Handyman Services in Anchorage, AK 2020 - Porch
Palmer, Alaska I'm Your Handyman LLC is a quality-focused business serving the Palmer area. We are a licensed Handyman Contractor ready to solve your needs beyond your expectations.
4 Best Handyman Services - Palmer AK | HomeAdvisor
Hire the Best Handyman Services in Palmer, AK on HomeAdvisor. We Have 28 Homeowner Reviews of Top Palmer Handyman Services. Northern Home Services, Realty Repair Services, Walby Homes, LLC, HandR Handyman Services. Get Quotes and Book Instantly.
Best 30 Handyman Services in Palmer, AK with Reviews - YP.com
Palmer, AK 99645 From Business: Prime Constructors LLC is a General Contracting Company that can handle all your construction needs including Electrical from handyman to complex remodel… 11.
Ben's Handyman Services - Wasilla, Alaska | Facebook
Just found Bens page! When Ben first got his Handyman business up, I was working on sheet rocking my... parents basement and couldn't finish it on my own, Ben was a great help and the finished product looked excellent and professional. 10/10 would employ again. See More
Handyman near Palmer, AK | Better Business Bureau. Start ...
BBB Directory of Handyman near Palmer, AK. BBB Start with Trust ®. Your guide to trusted BBB Ratings, customer reviews and BBB Accredited businesses.
I'm Your Handyman LLC. Handyman Service - Palmer, AK ...
I'm Your Handyman LLC is a quality-focused business serving the Palmer area. We are a licensed Handyman Contractor ready to solve your needs beyond your expectations.
Top 10 Best Palmer AK Handyman Services | Angie's List
Read real reviews and see ratings for Palmer, AK Handyman Services near you to help you pick the right pro Handyman. Join Now Sign In Business Owners. Interior. Appliance Repair ... Find Top-Rated Palmer Handyman Services There are 18 top-rated handyman services in your area.
WM Construction LLC - Palmer | Handymen in Palmer AK
Find WM Construction LLC company details - Handymen in Palmer AK. Let eHARDHAT help you do the research before you hire! Let us find handyman professionals for you.
The Best Handymen in Palmer, AK | WhoDoYou
See the most recommended handymen in Palmer, AK. Honest opinions shared by friends and neighbors. Want to find out who they refer? ... Handyman referral in Palmer, AK. Referral from December 12, 2014. 9.6 Amber S. asked: Any one know of a good handyman? My washer, dryer, dishwasher and oven all need to be looked at.
Home | DR Handyman | Palmer, AK | United States
DR Handyman provides home repairs and limited remodeling services in Palmer, Wasilla, and Eagle River.