Hiring an Affordable Greenville AL Handyman
Hiring a handyman in Greenville AL can be an affordable alternative to doing various home repair or improvement projects yourself that you have been avoiding. With multiple family and work responsibilities, it can often be difficult to work on your list of home repairs, which can have a negative impact on home maintenance. A handyman is usually less expensive than licensed contractors who specialize in one area exclusively, such as plumbers or electricians. And with their extensive and broad experience, they can help you avoid making mistakes when installing a washing machine, replacing a garbage disposal, or putting in a new tile floor yourself. There is nothing more frustrating than having to hire someone to re-do the job after you have done it very badly. Also, it can end up being more expensive than if you had hired a professional to begin with. So, if you are considering doing some home renovations or fixing something in the house that needs repair, consider the benefits of hiring a professional handyman instead.
Why Hire a Handyman Instead
Sometimes it is best to leave it to the experts when considering home maintenance or repair. A qualified and experienced Greenville AL handyman can not only get the job done fast but do it right the first time, saving you frustration and time for other obligations. But what are the benefits of hiring a handyman compared to other options. Let’s take a look at some of the main reasons that it makes sense to utilize handyman services for your next home project.
- Charge by the hour. Most handymen in Greenville AL charge by the hour and not by the job. This means that you only pay for the time spent doing actual work and not pre-set service charges plus additional costs that could far exceed what a handyman charges. They also tend to have lower overhead and no employees, so they can charge less than a typical plumber or electrician.
- Can handle several projects. Perhaps you have a faucet that needs replacing, an outlet that needs to be changed out, and a bedroom that needs to be painted. Instead of trying to find and coordinate with a reliable Greenville AL plumber, electrician and painter, an experienced handyman can handle all of those projects.
- Save money on materials. When you hire a contractor, generally they supply the materials at a mark-up. When working with a handyman, you supply the materials, saving you money. And often an experienced handyman has connections that they have established with Greenville AL vendors offering them discounts that they can pass on to their customers.
- The Go-To person for all home repair projects. The great thing about having the phone number for an experienced Greenville AL professional handyman is that you don’t have to think about who to call when the toilet leaks or the ceiling fan stops working. You just call your guy (or gal) and they come over and take care of the problem. And if the job is a little more involved than they can handle, they can usually recommend a “specialist” to take care of your more advanced plumbing, electrical or HVAC needs.
Steps to Hiring a Handyman
Being comfortable with and having confidence in your Greenville AL handyman is extremely important, especially since they are working in your home. The last thing that you want to do is hire someone who does not have the skills required to complete the project or that will charge you more than the agreed upon price. So be sure to do your due diligence and follow these hiring guidelines when selecting and hiring your handyman.
- Interview several prospects. As the song goes, you better shop around. Be sure to speak with 3 or 4 candidates before making a selection. Referral services, such as the one recommended on this website, can do the groundwork for you by providing pre-screened Greenville AL handymen. Be sure to ask about their experience, areas of expertise and rates.
- Clearly define the project. Make sure your prospective handyman understands the scope and all details of the project. It is important to make sure that it is within the range of his or her expertise and experience and not more appropriate for a licensed Greenville AL contractor.
- Ask for references. Get references from recent Greenville AL customers who have used the handyman’s services, for similar projects if available. Ask if they were completely satisfied with the work performed as well as the cost of services. Also ask if they would hire the handyman again for future projects.
- Get Agreement and Guarantee in writing. Make sure the terms are spelled out in writing, to include all fees involved and any guarantees for workmanship. Since you are paying by the hour it is not as critical to get the exact project cost up front, especially for small jobs. But there needs to be a formal understanding regarding hourly rate and if the Greenville AL handyman stands behind his work. And for longer projects, a start and completion date, along with estimated billed hours should be spelled out in writing before work begins.
A Bit About Greenville AL
Greenville is a city in Butler County, Alabama, United States. At the 2010 census, the population was 8,135. The city is the county seat of Butler County and is known as the Camellia City. The movement to change the official Alabama state flower from the goldenrod to the camellia originated in Greenville with legislative sponsors LaMont Glass and H.B. Taylor.
Greenville was first settled in 1819. Its original name was Buttsville, but after becoming the county seat in 1822, its name was changed to Greenville, in remembrance of the former locale in South Carolina of many of the original settlers. The first county seat was at Fort Dale, a fortification that was named for Sam Dale, who fought to defend the area during the Creek War. The site of Fort Dale lies on the north of the city near the Fort Dale Cemetery, along what is now Alabama Highway 185.
The namesake of the county, Captain William Butler, was killed during the Creek War. He is buried in the Pioneer Cemetery, which is across from the oldest church in Butler County, the First United Methodist Church of Greenville.
Greenville is located in southern Alabama at 31°49'52.583" North, 86°37'39.241" West (31.831273, -86.627567).Interstate 65 passes to the west of the city center, with access from exits 128 and 130. U.S. Route 31 passes to the east of the city center. Montgomery, the state capital, is 44 miles (71 km) north, the closest city to Greenville with a population above 50,000.Mobile is 127 miles (204 km) to the southwest on I-65.
Is Hiring a Greenville AL Handyman Right For You?
We all have home repair or replacement projects that we keep putting off that a qualified Greenville AL handyman could take care of quickly and at a cost that is very reasonable and affordable. After all, isn’t it more cost effective to have the project done once and right the first time? Many handymen are skilled in several areas such as:
- Door repair and installation
- Drywall repair and installation
- Painting and Plastering
- Window repair or replacement
- Minor plumbing or electrical services
- Carpentry or Roof repair
- Flooring installation and repair
- Any general home repair, replacement or improvement
So what are you waiting for? Take care of your “Honey Do” list and request free estimates from some of the top rated handymen in Greenville AL. There is no cost or obligation to be connected with professionals who will compete for your business. So request your free proposals and take care of those home repair projects now!
Check Out These Other Cities in Alabama